A 4 Green Key rating is awarded to a hotel that has "shown national industry leadership and commitment to protecting the environment through wide ranging policies and practices. The Hotel has mature programs in place that involve management, employees, guests, and the public, and which have shown substantial and measurable results."
Kitchen and Stewarding
- Our chef observes responsible food planning and purchasing practices to reduce waste and spoilage
- We buy locally available product whenever available
- Recycling of all bottles, tins, containers, pallets
- Deep fat frying oil and fats are recycled off site
- We recycle cardboard boxes from incoming shipments
- Supply orders are in bulk and in bulk packaging
- Supply deliveries are kept to only a few times per week - saves on gas
- Guests are presented with the option of having their folio emailed at check-out to reduce paper
- Daily newspaper delivery is optional
- Optional linen cleaning program allows guests to choose whether or not they want to reduce their linen washing - saving energy and water
- Non-toxic cleaners used in Housekeeping and laundry
- Left over soap and shampoo is collected and given to charity
- "Hanger caddies" are located in Housekeeping and associate locker rooms to recycle hangers
- Used linen is recycled as rags and drop sheets for painting
- Old beds, furniture and equipment is sold to a liquidator for resale
- TV's in guest rooms have an energy saver - shut off after a period of time
- Chemicals are in spray bottles as opposed to spray cans
- All guest rooms are Breathe Westin non-smoking - reduced the use for air freshener chemicals
- Old memos and letters to guests are used as scrap paper in Housekeeping
- Vacuums were changed to a more dust free disposable bag
- Motion sensor paper towel dispensers placed in heart of the house areas and in kitchen
- Make a Green Choice program rewards guests for choosing to conserve natural resources in their guestroom
- Recycling blue boxes in all meeting rooms
- To reduce waste pads of paper, pens and mints can be set as stations in meeting room instead of at each setting
- Heavy-duty meeting cloths which require less frequent cleaning
- We serve only Starbucks Café Serena Organic Coffee
- Condiments can be placed in bulk containers to reduce wasteful packaging
- Go linenless: we have custom buffet tables and back bar units that require no linens - reducing energy and water for linen cleaning
- All our dishes, cutlery and linens are reusable
- Option of using pitchers of water instead of water bottles and choice of using jugs of juice instead of individual bottles
- We use mugs instead of teacups and saucers to reduce dish washing
- Installed compact fluorescent bulbs in every fixture that can accept them
- Sophisticated control system for our cooling plant that senses a number of different variables before deciding which chillers to start and stop = saves electricity
- Building Control system - gives Engineering individual control over the temperature of every meeting room - ensures that empty rooms have their heating and cooling reduced as required
- Two new very high efficiency boilers, used for both heating and domestic hot water production.
- Storage rooms are equipped with timer light switches
- Meeting rooms - lights are turned off after meetings
- Guest floors are closed down in low occupancy months
- Energy-saving bulbs in the vanity lamps - they only come up to full power if they have been on for more than 7 minutes
- The Hotel is a BC Hydro PowerSmart partner, working closely with our Key Account Representative to ensure we are taking advantage of best practices from all industries
- The Hotel also uses Six Sigma methodology to ensure we are importing every possible best practice from within our company
Make a Green Choice
Conserving water, energy and other resources is rewarding for you and great for the environment. Enjoy a $5 voucher at participating food and beverage outlets or 500 Starpoints® awarded at check-out for each night you decline housekeeping (except day of departure).
It feels good to conserve. Make A Green Choice.
To participate in the Make a Green Choice program, please tell us at check-in or look for the door hanger in your guestroom.
One Night Can Mean Significant Savings.
Save Water | 49.2 Gallons*
49.2 gallons is 787 cups, enough for 1 person to drink 2 cups per day for a year.
Save Electricity | 0.19 KWH*
That's enough to run an Energy Star-rated laptop for 10 hours.
Save Natural Gas | 25,000 btu*
Enough energy to heat a 400 square foot room at 70°F for 4 hours - when it's 10°F outside.
Save Chemicals | 7 oz*
Fewer chemicals equals less toxicity in the environment.
And that's good for everyone.